Electric skateboards have become a popular mode of transportation for both commuters and thrill-seekers alike. With the advancement of technology, these sleek and powerful boards have evolved to cater to different riding styles and terrains. But one crucial component that often gets overlooked is the type of wheels used. Just like with traditional skateboards, the right wheels can make all the difference in your electric skateboard experience. In this blog post, we’ll take a deep dive into the different types of electric skateboard wheels and help you choose the best ones for your ride. So let’s get rolling!
Introduction to Electric Skateboard Wheels
Electric skateboarding has revolutionized the way we travel and experience the thrill of cruising on a board. Whether you’re a seasoned rider or just getting started, choosing the right wheels for your electric skateboard is essential for an optimal ride. In this section, we will introduce you to the world of electric skateboard wheels and explore the key factors you need to consider.
Electric skateboard wheels come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and materials, each with its own unique properties that can greatly impact your ride. Understanding the different types of wheels available and how they affect your performance is crucial in making the right choice.
One important factor to consider is wheel durometer, which refers to the hardness of the wheel. Durometer is measured on a scale called the Shore durometer, with higher numbers indicating harder wheels. Harder wheels provide a smoother and faster ride, making them ideal for smooth surfaces like asphalt. Softer wheels, on the other hand, offer better grip and shock absorption, making them suitable for rough terrains or uneven surfaces.
Grip is another important aspect to consider. The grip of a wheel refers to its ability to maintain traction on the road. Wheels with a higher grip provide better control and stability, especially when carving or making tight turns. This is particularly important if you plan on riding at higher speeds or in wet conditions.
In the next sections, we will delve deeper into the different types of electric skateboard wheels, explore how to choose the right wheel size and shape for your needs, discuss wheels for off-road terrains, and even touch on the style aspect of customizing your wheel color and design. Stay tuned for a comprehensive overview of the top wheel brands and their offerings, as well as essential maintenance tips to keep your electric skateboard wheels in top shape.
So, whether you’re a speed demon craving the thrill of the asphalt or an adventure seeker venturing off the beaten path, the right wheels will make all the difference. Get ready to discover the world of electric skateboard wheels and elevate your ride to new heights!
Understanding Wheel Durometer and Grip for a Smooth Ride
When it comes to electric skateboard wheels, safety should always be your top priority. Understanding the concepts of wheel durometer and grip is essential for ensuring a smooth and controlled ride. Let’s delve into these important factors.
Wheel durometer refers to the hardness of the wheels and is measured on the Shore durometer scale. Higher durometer numbers indicate harder wheels, while lower numbers indicate softer wheels. The hardness of the wheels affects how they interact with different surfaces. Harder wheels, with a higher durometer rating, are perfect for smooth surfaces like asphalt. They provide a fast and smooth ride, allowing you to reach higher speeds with ease. However, they may not offer the same level of grip on rough or uneven terrain.
On the other hand, softer wheels, with a lower durometer rating, offer better shock absorption and grip. They excel in rough terrains or on uneven surfaces, providing better stability and control. Softer wheels are ideal for riders who prioritize a smooth and comfortable ride, especially when cruising over cracks and bumps in the road.
Grip is another crucial factor when it comes to electric skateboard wheels. It determines how well the wheels maintain traction on the road. Wheels with a higher grip are essential for maintaining control, especially during tight turns or when carving. A high-grip wheel ensures that you can ride with confidence, even at higher speeds or in wet conditions. It minimizes the risk of slipping or sliding, enhancing safety and stability.
|Durometer Scale||Wheel Type (hardness)||Description|
|78A – 87A||Very soft||Best suited for cruising, smooth riding, and longboarding on rough surfaces.|
|88A – 95A||Somewhat soft||Less grip but withstands bumps. Well suited for the streets and rough surfaces.|
|96A – 99A||Hard||Average grip and speed. All around wheels – perfect for beginners. Ideal for smooth surfaces and street skating.|
|101A +||Hardest and fastest||Least grip – perfect for smooth surfaces. Best-suited for performing tricks and are professional wheels.|
Understanding the wheel durometer and grip is vital for choosing the right wheels for your electric skateboard. It allows you to tailor your ride to your specific needs and preferences. So, before you hit the road, make sure you prioritize safety and select the wheels that offer the perfect balance between hardness and grip.
The Types of Electric Skateboard Wheels
Electric skateboard wheels come in a variety of types, each designed to cater to different riding styles and terrains. Understanding the different types of wheels available can greatly impact your electric skateboard experience. Here are some of the most common types of electric skateboard wheels:
- Street Wheels: Street wheels are the most common type of electric skateboard wheels and are designed for smooth surfaces like asphalt or concrete. They are typically made of urethane, which provides a good balance between grip and durability. Street wheels come in various durometers and sizes, allowing you to customize your ride based on your preferences.
- All-Terrain Wheels: All-terrain wheels are designed for riders who want to explore different terrains beyond the city streets. These wheels feature a larger diameter and a tread pattern that provides better traction on uneven surfaces like dirt or grass. They are usually made of rubber or a hybrid material for enhanced durability.
- Off-Road Wheels: Off-road wheels are specifically designed for tackling rough terrains like gravel, dirt, or rocky trails. These wheels feature a larger diameter and a knobby tread pattern that provides maximum grip and stability. Off-road wheels are typically made of rubber or a hybrid material for better shock absorption.
- Hybrid Wheels: Hybrid wheels combine the best features of street and all-terrain wheels. They are versatile and can handle a wide range of terrains, making them a popular choice among electric skateboard riders. Hybrid wheels typically have a medium durometer and a tread pattern that provides a balance between grip and speed.
- Longboard Wheels: Longboard wheels are larger and softer than traditional skateboard wheels. They are designed for cruising and carving, providing a smooth and comfortable ride. Longboard wheels are often made of urethane and come in various shapes and sizes to suit different riding styles.
When choosing the right type of electric skateboard wheels, consider the type of terrain you’ll be riding on and your personal preferences. Each type of wheel offers its own advantages and disadvantages, so take the time to find the ones that best suit your riding style and needs.
Choosing the Right Wheel Size and Shape
When it comes to choosing the right wheel size and shape for your electric skateboard, there are a few factors to consider. The size and shape of the wheels can greatly impact your riding experience, so it’s important to find the perfect fit.
First, let’s talk about wheel size. Electric skateboard wheels come in various diameters, typically ranging from 70mm to 120mm. Smaller wheels, such as those in the 70-80mm range, are ideal for riders who prioritize maneuverability and quick acceleration. They are also great for carving and tricks. On the other hand, larger wheels, in the 90-120mm range, are better suited for riders who want a smoother ride and increased stability. They are ideal for cruising and long-distance rides.
In addition to size, wheel shape also plays a role in your electric skateboard experience. Most wheels come in a rounded shape, also known as a “round-lip” or a square-lip shape. Rounded wheels offer a smoother ride and better grip, making them suitable for carving and maintaining control during turns. Square-lip wheels, on the other hand, provide a more slide-friendly experience, making them popular among riders who enjoy sliding and performing tricks.
Ultimately, the choice of wheel size and shape depends on your riding style and preferences. If you’re a beginner or prefer a more nimble ride, opt for smaller wheels with a rounded shape. If you’re an experienced rider or enjoy long-distance rides, go for larger wheels with a rounded shape for a smooth and stable ride.
Remember, choosing the right wheel size and shape is crucial for maximizing your electric skateboard experience. Take the time to experiment with different options and find the ones that suit your style and needs best. Happy riding!
Going Off-road: Choosing Wheels for Rough Terrain
For those thrill-seekers who love to venture off the beaten path, choosing the right wheels for rough terrain is essential. When it comes to off-road electric skateboarding, you need wheels that can handle the ruggedness of dirt, gravel, or rocky trails. In this section, we’ll explore what to look for when choosing off-road wheels and the best options available.
When it comes to off-road electric skateboard wheels, size and durability are key factors to consider. Larger wheels, typically in the range of 100mm to 120mm, provide better clearance and stability on uneven terrain. They can easily roll over rocks, roots, and other obstacles without compromising your ride. These larger wheels also provide a smoother experience, absorbing shocks and vibrations that come with off-road riding.
Durability is also crucial when it comes to off-road wheels. Look for wheels made from durable materials such as rubber or a hybrid material that can withstand the roughness of off-road terrains. These wheels should be able to handle the impact of riding on gravel or dirt without wearing down quickly.
Tread pattern is another important aspect to consider for off-road wheels. Look for wheels with a knobby tread pattern, similar to those found on mountain bike tires. These tread patterns provide maximum grip and traction, allowing you to maintain control even on loose or slippery surfaces. The deep grooves in the tread help to dig into the ground, providing stability and preventing slippage.
Some popular off-road wheel options include the Evolve All-Terrain Wheels, which are known for their durability and grip, and the MBS All-Terrain Wheels, which are specifically designed for off-road riding.
So, if you’re ready to take your electric skateboard off-road, make sure you invest in the right wheels. Choose larger wheels with a durable construction and a knobby tread pattern for maximum traction and stability. With the right off-road wheels, you’ll be able to tackle any rough terrain with ease and take your electric skateboard adventures to new heights.
Skating in Style: Customizing Your Wheel Color and Design
When it comes to electric skateboarding, not only is the performance of your board important, but so is the style. Customizing your electric skateboard wheels with unique colors and designs is a great way to showcase your personality and make a statement while riding. Whether you want to match your board with your favorite outfit or simply want to stand out from the crowd, customizing your wheel color and design is the way to go.
One of the easiest ways to customize your electric skateboard wheels is by purchasing colored wheels. Many brands offer wheels in a variety of vibrant colors, allowing you to mix and match or create a cohesive look. From bold neon hues to sleek metallic finishes, the options are endless. Additionally, some brands even offer translucent wheels that allow the color of the LED lights on your electric skateboard to shine through, adding an extra element of style to your ride.
If you want to take your customization to the next level, consider getting wheel decals or stickers. These adhesive designs can be applied directly to your wheels and come in a wide range of patterns and styles. From geometric shapes to your favorite logos or symbols, there are endless possibilities for personalization. Plus, decals and stickers are easily removable, so you can change up your design whenever you want.
Another option for customizing your wheel design is to get wheels with unique patterns or graphics. Some brands offer wheels with intricate designs, such as flames, skulls, or graffiti-inspired artwork. These wheels not only add a touch of style to your ride but also make your electric skateboard stand out from the rest.
Top Wheel Brands and Their Offerings
When it comes to choosing the best electric skateboard wheels, it’s important to consider the top wheel brands and their offerings. These brands have established a reputation for producing high-quality wheels that are known for their durability, performance, and innovation. Here are some of the top wheel brands and what they have to offer:
- Orangatang: Orangatang is a renowned brand in the skateboarding world, known for their high-performance wheels. They offer a range of wheel sizes, shapes, and durometers to suit different riding styles. Orangatang wheels are loved for their smooth ride, excellent grip, and long-lasting performance.
- ABEC 11: ABEC 11 is another top brand that specializes in producing high-quality electric skateboard wheels. Their wheels are known for their precision, speed, and control. ABEC 11 offers a variety of wheel sizes and shapes, allowing riders to customize their boards for optimal performance.
- MBS: MBS is a leading brand in off-road electric skateboard wheels. Their all-terrain wheels are designed to handle rugged terrains and provide maximum traction and stability. MBS wheels are made from durable materials and feature a knobby tread pattern for enhanced grip.
- Evolve: Evolve is known for their versatility and performance. Their wheels are designed to handle various terrains and provide a smooth and comfortable ride. Evolve offers a range of wheel options, including all-terrain and street wheels, to suit different riding styles and preferences.
- Loaded: Loaded is a well-respected brand in the electric skateboard community, offering high-quality wheels that prioritize performance and style. Their wheels are designed for smooth and controlled rides, with options for different riding styles and terrains.
Here is a table that explores even more top brands of electric skateboard wheels.
|Brand||Model||Material||Size (mm)||Hardness (durometer)||Profile|
|Orangatang||Kegel||Polyurethane||80, 83, 85||77A, 80A, 83A||Rounded|
|Powell Peralta||Snakes||Polyurethane||78, 85||85A||Rounded|
|Abec 11||Flywheels||Polyurethane||90, 100, 107||78A, 80A||Rounded|
|Cloudwheels||Wave||Polyurethane||90, 100, 110||78A||Rounded|
|Hawgs||Mini Hawgs||Polyurethane||75, 83||81A||Rounded|
|Blood Orange||Alphas||Polyurethane||80, 85||87A||Rounded|
|Seismic||Speed Vents||Polyurethane||85, 90||80A||Rounded|
|Flipsky||Electric Skateboard Wheels||Polyurethane||83, 85, 90, 107||80A||Rounded|
|WowGo||Electric Skateboard Wheels||Polyurethane||83, 85, 90, 107||80A||Rounded|
|Boosted||Electric Skateboard Wheels||Polyurethane||78, 85, 90, 107||80A||Rounded|
|Kaly.nyc||Electric Skateboard Wheels||Polyurethane||90, 100, 110||78A, 80A||Rounded|
These top wheel brands have proven their worth in the electric skateboard industry, consistently delivering exceptional products that meet the demands of riders. When choosing your electric skateboard wheels, consider the offerings from these brands and select the ones that best suit your riding style and preferences. Remember, investing in quality wheels will enhance your overall riding experience and ensure that you’re getting the most out of your electric skateboard.
Maintenance Tips for Electric Skateboard Wheels
Maintaining your electric skateboard wheels is essential for prolonging their lifespan and ensuring optimal performance. Here are some maintenance tips to keep your wheels in top shape:
- Regularly clean your wheels: Dirt, dust, and debris can accumulate on your wheels over time, affecting their performance. To keep them clean, use a damp cloth or a brush to gently remove any dirt or grime. Avoid using harsh chemicals that can damage the wheels.
- Check for wear and tear: Regularly inspect your wheels for any signs of wear and tear, such as cracks or flat spots. If you notice any damage, it’s best to replace the wheels to maintain safety and performance.
- Rotate your wheels: Electric skateboard wheels tend to wear down unevenly due to the way weight is distributed during riding. To ensure even wear, periodically rotate your wheels. Swap the front wheels with the back ones to distribute the load and extend the lifespan of your wheels.
- Maintain proper inflation: If your electric skateboard wheels have inflatable tires, make sure to check the tire pressure regularly. Proper tire pressure is essential for maintaining control and preventing damage to the wheels. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for the ideal tire pressure.
- Lubricate the bearings: The bearings in your electric skateboard wheels can accumulate dirt and grime, leading to decreased performance. To keep them running smoothly, periodically clean and lubricate the bearings. Use a skate bearing lubricant or light oil to ensure proper function.
- Store your skateboard properly: When you’re not riding your electric skateboard, store it in a dry and cool place. Avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures or moisture, as this can damage the wheels and other components.
By following these maintenance tips, you can ensure that your electric skateboard wheels are in optimal condition for a smooth and enjoyable ride. Remember, regular maintenance is key to maximizing the lifespan and performance of your wheels.
In the world of skating, the relationship between the development of electric skateboards and the progress of wheel technology offers an intriguing path. The emphasis is now on developing cutting-edge skateboard wheel designs that provide flawless performance, a wide range of compatibility options, and enhanced durability as we embrace the future.
When it comes to making RC nitro fuel at home, you might be wondering how much it costs. RC nitro fuel can be found in a number of…
As technology continually evolves, various opportunities arise for tech-savvy entrepreneurs and enthusiasts. One such area that has seen immense growth is the drone industry, with its applications ranging…
If you’re an RC car enthusiast, the word servo is likely not new to you. However, newbies will not be as familiar with it, especially if they purchased…
When you enter the world of RC cars it can be quite intimidating at first to figure out which car to buy. To many newcomers, all the various…
Drone racing has become a popular and exhilarating sport, with pilots flying their drones at high speeds through challenging courses. One of the key components for a successful…
Before you start driving your radio-controlled car, it’s helpful to know how it works. Radio-controlled cars work by transmitting electromagnetic frequencies to a circuit board. This information is…
Nitro RC cars are almost the same as regular cars as they both use a fuel-powered engine. Therefore, cleaning them properly is necessary just like you’d have to…
In the rapidly evolving world of personal transportation, two contenders have emerged, each offering a unique blend of convenience, efficiency, and mobility. Electric bikes (e-bikes) and electric skateboards…
Are you tired of the same old commute to work every day? Are you looking for a way to make your daily rides more enjoyable and efficient? Look…